Remember my Blueberry and Cream Cookies from Milk Bar? The gigantic, pillowy, highly addictive treats I ate half of on my own? Yeah. I just cannot get enough of Milk Bar-style cookies, so they’re a regular event in my kitchen. … Continue reading
Soo last week was Strawberry Week, and after a brief hiatus-during which I developed the tiniest of tans- I am back with the recap. We had… Devil’s Food Strawberry (Tall)Cake Strawberry Cookie Dough Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes Flourless Chocolate Cake with … Continue reading
Happy Father’s Day to all the great dads out there! Shoutout to my dad for always caring, keeping us together, and stocking the kitchen. I couldn’t ask for a better parent. My dad is a purist, meaning no mix-ins or change-ups. … Continue reading
And we’re back with Strawberry Week in Teenage Cakeland! Where one girl turns a surplus of strawberries into a surplus of cakes.
In case you missed them, here are the first two entries for Strawberry Week:
Today I’m sharing my first on-purpose gluten-free recipe, in the form of a flourless chocolate cake topped with strawberries. The Italian teacher at my school, Signora Brunetti, is my study hall teacher, and although I often bring in desserts or talk about the things I make in front of her, I feel bad because she cannot have any of it. So, as an end-of-the-year present, I decided to make Signora a cake that she could actually eat.
This recipe was a spin-off of the Devil’s Food Strawberry (Tall)Cake, which was in turn inspired by Pioneer Woman. A single layer flourless cake topped with whipped cream and strawberries.
And as I am writing this, I realize I didn’t take a picture…I’m really angry with myself. I’m sorry everyone. But just picture the Devil’s Food Strawberry (Tall)Cake, in a single layer:
Unfortunately, I did not have a piece of this particular cake. I know, how un-Dru-like of me. But it filled my kitchen with the most wonderful chocolately smell, so I knew it had to be delicious, and I was reassured that it was. I almost didn’t post it because I don’t really have many conclusions, but it seemed too beautiful not to.
Signora said something really nice to me about this cake. She was absolutely touched that I had made it for her. Not for a grade, because I just have her for study hall. Just because. That made me feel really good, how happy I made her 🙂 See, I told you cake can improve your life!!!
To all my gluten-free readers, and everyone else, too, enjoy this darling little cake, and please tell me how it is!
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Strawberries
Flourless Chocolate Cake from Martha Stewart
- 6 tbs butter
- 8 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chips or finely chopped
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees and grease the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Increase to medium-high speed and slowly add the sugar. Beat until siff glossy peaks form.
- In a medium-sized heat-proof bowl, microwave the butter and chocolate at 30-second intervals until completely melted, stirring between intervals. Let cool slightly and whisk in the egg yolks.
- Gently fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the rest of the whites.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the cake slightly pulls away from the side of the pan and no longer jiggles in the center.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbs sugar
- Place the cleaned and dried bowl of a stand mixer and a paddle or whisk attachment into the freezer for fifteen minutes.
- Place the strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir together. Let sit for fifteen minutes, then drain the excess juices using a strainer.
- Remove the stand mixer bowl from the freezer and beat the heavy cream at medium-high speed, gradually adding the sugar, until stiff peaks form.
- Using an angled spatula, spread the whipped cream on top of the flourless cake. Arrange the strawberries on top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Let me clarify. Browned butter strawberry cookie dough, stuffed inside a chocolate cupcake, topped with strawberry whipped cream. But I thought that was too long of a title. This is a conglomerate of a few different, but equally amazing, recipes … Continue reading
Last week my dad bought a gigantic tub of strawberries and I, being a baker, was inspired to make a few cakes. Well, two cakes, and 26 cupcakes. Plus, I need a strawberry and raspberry recipe for this month’s Behind … Continue reading
It’s been really hot here in NY this week. And that makes me soo happy, because, summer! I have a huge problem with winter. I get cold so easily and I can’t stand long pants. I have no motivation to … Continue reading