Remember my Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies from yesterday? Of course you do, they were amaaazing 🙂 I hope you make them and eat them all and they become your best friends.
Cookies are magical. They can go anywhere and do anything. Like sprinkles.
So you might as well put them in some blondies! Plus, peanut butter and banana…*shivers*
I actually had a photo shoot with these blondies. Yes, I’m crazy.
No really, I’m trying to get better at photography and take more interesting shots. If anyone has tips for me, please share!
I had leftover dough from the cookies, and also leftover seven minute frosting from my Vanilla Almond Cake. So I used them both! And the result was fantabulous.
Start with the cookies. Please see my previous post for some awesome pictures. Take the dough and press it into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Then take seven minute frosting or Fluff, melted in the microwave for thirty seconds, and spread it on top.
Sprinkle on pecans or walnuts and chocolate chips.
Now for the banana blondie layer.
Mash three or four bananas with a fork or hand blender, until they’re silky and smooth.
I have the cutest pot holder. It has a teddy bear on it heehee.
Cream the sugar and eggs in a stand mixer. Instead of sour cream and butter, like in the original recipe, I used yogurt and applesauce as low fat alternatives. Cream these in, too, and add the mashed bananas and some vanilla and mix for one minute.
Combine two cups flour (I used half all purpose and half whole wheat) with salt and baking soda, and then add to the wet ingredients. Mix for one minute. Pour the batter on top of the other layers in the pan.
And pop into the oven. And they coming out looking like…
These were extremely thick and took a lot longer to bake than I though. I recommend reserving 1 cup of batter to make later so the blondies are a tad thinner and easier to cook through.
Peanut Butter Cookie Crust very slightly adapted from Spark Recipes
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 3/4 t salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a large cookie tray.
- Cream apple sauce, peanut butter, and vanilla, then add brown sugar.
- Mix two flours, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to wet ingredients.
- Press into the bottom of a 9×13 pan, lined with parchment paper or tinfoil and greased.
Seven Minute Frosting or Fluff
Pour over crust.
Banana Blondie Layer from The Girl Who Ate Everything
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1/2 cup softened butter or applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup (3 or 4) mashed ripe bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour or 1 cup each all purpose and whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle pecans and chocolate chips over the seven minute frosting, or add them later to the blondie batter.
- Mash bananas using a fork or hand blender.
- Cream sugar, sour cream or yogurt, butter or applesauce, and eggs. Add banana and vanilla and mix for one minute.
- Combine flours, baking soda, and salt and add into wet ingredients, then mix one minute again. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans if you did not layer them over the frosting.
- Reserve one cup of blondie batter. You can bake this later or in a separate pan.
- Pour the rest of the batter on top of the other layers and bake for 30 minutes, then check every three minutes until a toothpick inserted halfway comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Conclusions: I love the combination of peanut butter and banana, obviously, and the frosting inside makes for a pretty cool and extra moist inside. Make sure you cut all the way through the cookie crust! These are incredibly moist and soft, so enjoy 🙂